The Craigs were among the first settlers of Squirrel Hill. William Craig (d. c. 1828) owned a parcel of land near John Turner’s farm, and the two were friends.
William Craig is listed on the war memorial tablet in MSBA Church as a veteran of the War of 1812. His wife, known only as Mrs. William Craig, was the first officially recorded burial in Turner Graveyard in 1804. They had a daughter, Elizabeth, who “came to know the Lord” in 1819.” She never married. It is not known where she is buried, but an Elizabeth Craig was buried in Allegheny Cemetery in 1868 and another in Homewood Cemetery in 1882.
William Craig and his wife also had two sons, William Jr. and Harrison. William Jr. married a woman named Elizabeth and had a son, William Harrison, who is buried in Homewood Cemetery.
Harrison Craig, Co. B, 64th Reg., Pa. Vol. Calv., is listed on the war memorial tablet as a Civil War veteran, Co. 4 P Cav. His Pa. Dept. of Military Affairs “Record of Burial Place” lists his place of burial as Mary S. Brown Memorial #10. However, he went to New Mexico, probably for his health, and died and was buried there.
Harrison’s brother James is not listed on the tablet, but a researcher has found his Civil War records, which say he was buried in Turner Cemetery. That information is not correct. He is buried in Homewood Cemetery.
Another James Craig is listed on the war memorial tablet under the date ” 1783,” making him a veteran of the Revolutionary War. He could be a brother of William Craig. One researcher says he was a member of the Westmoreland militia and is buried with his family in another cemetery. Until 1788, Allegheny County was part of Westmoreland County.